Comments on building GrADS from source

Tom Pollard tomp at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 27 16:28:54 EDT 2005

Jennifer,

You wrote:
>>> Re: GrADS configure system vs. "other" packages
>>> GrADS's dependence on supplibs cannot be avoided, unless you're
>>> willing
>>> to work in a fairly limited way with binary or grib data.
>>>

>> How could that be?  If I have builds of HDF4, gds, libdap, libnc-dap,
>> gadods, rx and udunits, shouldn't I be able to build a fully working
>> copy of GrADS?
>>
> What I mean is that you can build a no-feature version of gradsc that
> has no dependence on any library  -- everything for grib and binary
> I/O
> is in the GrADS source code. But if you've got all those supplibs
> built, then you're in fat city.

Well, they're not all built yet.  It would help a lot if there were a
list of just what additional libraries were required, and which
versions you've been using.  For instance, it looks like the
libgadods sources from ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/Supplibs/1.9/src/
libgadods-src.tar.gz require an older version of libdap than the
current release (libdap 3.5.2).

Thanks,

Tom