Dos/Unix line endings with GrADS in CYGWIN

Andrew Tupper A.Tupper at BOM.GOV.AU
Mon Nov 28 20:21:16 EST 2005

Dear all,

This seems such a trivial question but please forgive me...

I'm using GrADS-X in Cygwin (Config: v1.8SL11 32-bit little-endian readline
sdf/xdf netcdf DODS-enabled lats athena im/image-output printim) to open
.ctl files created by a model (ATHAM) which is running on the same machine
in g95 FORTRAN.

When opening the .ctl files in GrADS, any multi-line definition, for example:

x def   150 levels
         0       5.6     11.2    etc:

causes an input error:

Open Error:  Missing or invalid dimension scaling type
    --> The invalid description file record is:
    -->  xdef  150 levels

Further investigation shows that all the text files created by the model
are in DOS format, and doing a Dos2Unix on the .ctl files temporarily fixes
the problem.  CYGWIN is set up with binary mode as default and I haven't
yet tracked down how the files are being created in DOS format, but I was
wondering if, as an alternative, it's possible to set up GrADS so that it
doesn't care which format the .ctl files are in?

thanks and regards,

Andrew Tupper
Senior Meteorologist
Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre