Binary file from NEC-SX6

José Paulo Bonatti bonatti at CPTEC.INPE.BR
Fri Nov 18 07:33:16 EST 2005

I work at CPTEC and here we face this case all the time.
Since NEC-SX6 is IEEE big-endian, we run the model in
64 bits, but the output binary file is in 32 bits big-endian.
Then at the Linux machine we use just add
OPTION big_endian
at the control GrADS file. It works perfectly.

Bonatti

Ex:
REAL (KIND=8) :: data_model(imax,jmax)
REAL (KIND=4) :: data_out(imax,jmax)
! The model data is in 64 bits
data_out=REAL(data_model,4)
WRITE (10) data_out
! The output is in 32 bits

Karina Lindberg wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Are anyone running models on NEC-SX6 creating binary GRADS-files and then
>plotting these with GRADS on a different platform (f.ex. Linux) ?
>
>I am running a model on a NEC-SX6 creating binary GRADS-files which I want
>to look at with GRADS ran from Linux machine.
>The NEC-SX6 creates files with 64-bit and big-endian. The Linux machine has
> little-endian. I have tried to use the command
>OPTIONS byteswapped
>and/or
>OPTIONS big_endian
>in my .ctl file but with no luck.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this or some good advise?
>
>Thanks in advance for the help.
>Karina Lindberg
>DMI
>Denmark

                     Jose Paulo Bonatti
           Dr. em Meteorologia - Pesquisador Titular
        Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE
    Centro de Previsao de Tempo e Estudos Climaticos - CPTEC
          Divisao de Modelagem e Desenvolvimento - DMD
                  (http://www.cptec.inpe.br/)
              Rodovia Presidente Dutra, km 40 SPRJ
           12630-000 Cachoeira Paulista - SP - Brasil
       Tel: (+55) (12) 3186.8421  Fax: (+55) (12) 3101.2835