Server questions

Alemu Tadesse alemu_t at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 17 10:31:38 EST 2005

Hi All,

 Does any one know how to read nexrad stage IV  hourly rainfall data ?

 thanks

 Alemu

Wesley Ebisuzaki <Wesley.Ebisuzaki at NOAA.GOV> wrote: > Bob wrote:

>> I`m still very new to GrADS and have barely touched the surface. I do
>> however have big plans in the future, including producing some
>> limited model products on my site.
>>
>> My biggest question at the moment is, what kind of server environment
>> should I be looking for to even consider running GrADS on a remote
>> server. Hardware specs are my concern. These may seem like dumb
>> questions to many, but this is a first time for me!! I have visions
>> of spending weeks, maybe even months learning how to use the
>> scripting etc. Only to find GrADS will be bogging my site down, and
>> crashing it!!
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on this subject. Hopefully you`ll see
>> what I getting at!!
>>
>> What I want:
>> Software that can run on my sites server, can import, ingest and
>> contour model data into maps.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Bob.

Bob,

   I remember running GrADS on a 90 Mhz Pentium webserver with 32 MB
memory.  Sure it took
45 seconds to make a plot-on-demand but people were more patient those
days.    Anybody who would
attempt to answer your question would need to know

     (1) how many plots served / minute
     (2) are the plots made on demand or how many plots will available
for download (# made per hour)
     (3) dataset size

 Yours,
 Wesley

Alemu Tadesse
110 Hebron
Storrs,CT,06269
USA

"The search for truth and knowledge is one of the finest attributes of a man, though often it is most loudly voiced by those who strive for it the least." Albert Einstein

"Test eveything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. ''
(1 Thess. 5:21-22) "