Newbie questions!

Bob gradshelp at ROGERS.COM
Mon Nov 14 10:11:00 EST 2005

Hi all,

I`ve never used Grads before, so it`s a completely new ball game for me!! The most ambitious I`ve been is to use a desktop utility likes DAWS!

I have several questions to ask, where the answers could not be found on the Cola homepage.

I would like to install Grads on my server, mainly so I can ingest and display grib data/model charts on my website. What kind of server loads would I be looking at here? I need to know, whether my server can cope with it it!! Can someone shed some light on using Grads on a redhat linux based server?

Secondly, I haven`t looked through any of the documentation as yet. I thought it might be a good idea to install the windows version locally on my W2K PC first, so I can get an idea of how Grads works.

I believe I have it installed correctly, but I can`t even get off the starting block!! I tried to open the demo model.ctl file that comes with the online tutorial - all I get are errors `Scanning description file:  model
Open Error:  Can't open description file`

Do I need to place the ctl, grib and gmp in a certain folder? All the tutorial says is download them and place them locally. Thanks.

Regards,
Ron.