lines from the corner

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Nov 8 14:42:13 EST 2005

Hi Adam:

A while ago I  patched GrADS to replace NaN's, Inf and -Inf internally
by  missing value. I had forwarded a patch to COLA for inclusion in the
main distribution.

I thought it was put in. But now I remember that Brian was hesitant as
it uses some bit-pattern trickery around IEEE binary numbers to make it
work for big- and little-endian numbers on both 32 and 64 bit machines.

I can put together a patch and send it to you if you like.  Getting rid
of NaN's can be awkward as  IEEE standards require tests  like "x==NaN"
to return NaN no matter what.

Matt