Country boundaries

Dr. Rupa Kumar Kolli kolli at TROPMET.RES.IN
Sun May 15 21:21:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have responded to a similar request quite a few years ago.  I use a
simple GrADS script to define polygons to graphically mask out the
undesirable portions of the contours (see, for example, the plots at
http://soman.tropmet.res.in/MOL/Monsoon/year2004/seasonal_2004.html).
Please try and see if the enclosed script can accomplish your task.

Frankly, the script (grmask.gs) by itself is rather trivial and the real
hard work lies in preparing the data defining polygons for masking
(e.g., indmask.txt). The idea is to define contiguous polygons in world
coordinates covering the whole area where contours are unwanted. This
obviously requires the coordinates of map lines. You may either do this
by manually digitizing GrADS maps or by using some existing data on map
lines. You can prepare your own GrADS map data sets from lon/lat data
(ASCII) using a simple FORTRAN program, which I enclosed with this mail
(gradsmap.f). I think the hard work will be worth it, as you can re-use
the masking data in any vpage settings.

I hope these simple tools will help you to improve the aesthetics of
your plots. Please do not hesitate to write to me if you need any
further clarifications.

All the best,

Rupa Kumar ...:)

Stefano Giorgetti wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to draw temperature data over a country map and actually I've got
> plotted data going over state boundaries.
> I need something to mask political area outside the country boundaries
> in order to limit the plotted data.
>
> Example: plotting temperature values over Italy, I don't want that
> plotted areas cover France or Swiss.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Stefano Giorgetti
> Tecnico Meteonetwork :: rete MNW-CEM
> Email: stefano.giorgetti at meteonetwork.it
> ICQ: 82491870
> MSN: djordj at despammed.com

Dr. Rupa Kumar Kolli
Scientist-F & Head
Climatology & Hydrometeorology Division
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Homi Bhabha Road, Pune 411 008, India

Phone: +91-20-2589-3600 ext 351 (work);  +91-20-2586-3399 (home)
Fax:   +91-20-2589-3825
email: kolli at tropmet.res.in ; rk_kolli at yahoo.com
Visit 'Monsoon On Line': http://soman.tropmet.res.in/MOL/index.html