Grads 1.9b4 install from source

Eric DeWeaver deweaver at AOS.WISC.EDU
Thu Jun 30 12:09:09 EDT 2005

Hi Oliver,

Sorry, I think I my SUPPLIBS was inaccurate.  I suggested

  SUPPLIBS=/usr/local/udunits-1.11.7/include/udunits.h

but probably it should be

  SUPPLIBS=/usr/local/udunits-1.11.7

i.e. configure automatically looks for include and lib
underneath SUPPLIBS, in which case the new supplibs might
be just /usr/local.  I'm not really sure you need supplibs
if libudunits.a is in a standard place like /usr/local/lib.

Another suggestion: use option ----enable-dyn-supplibs with
configure.  Right now you have readline disabled, which probably
means that you won't have command line history.  Probably you
have readline on your system as a shared library, and you
can try making that available to the build with
--enable-dyn-supplibs.

I can also see from the output that you don't have libz.  I got
libz from DODS-packages-3.4.4.tar.gz, which I got from
www.opendap.org.

I should point out that the grads executables I build are
imperfect: gxeps always crashes with a segfault, 'q time' gives
a strange result when called from inside a script, I haven't been
able to build gradsdods (problems finding/building libwww.a),
probably other problems I haven't found yet.

An alternative would be to get the fedora binaries for grads1.8sl11.
I use the fedora version under suse 9.1 and it works ok.  You
can get the binaries by ftp to grads.iges.org and getting the file
/grads/1.8/GrADS1.8SL11.Fedora.tar.gz.  The ftp site may also
have some useful library stuff if you look around in it.

Good luck,

Eric