Displaying Thinned GriB Files

Robert Kistler Robert.Kistler at NOAA.GOV
Fri Jun 17 08:59:48 EDT 2005

An alternative if you are running Linux  is to use the GRIB utility
copygb  to convert the thinned grid to a regular lat-lon grid.

Here's a reply from several years ago from my colleague Wesley Ebisuzaki
- the link below is outdated. Write him at

Wesley.Ebisuaki at NOAA.gov for the current link.

I was able to create a grads friendly file by converting the file to 2.5 x 2.5 degree
lat-lon grid using a linux version of copygb.

  $ copygb -g2 -x thin.grb  new.grb

The linux version (redhat 7.1) of copygb is at

     ftp://wesley.wwb.noaa.gov/pub/copygb/copygb_rh7.1.exe

      Wesley Ebisuaki
      CPC/NCEP

Bob Kistler