Atmospheric Tides in GFS

Derek Goring nztideman at YAHOO.CO.NZ
Thu Jul 21 16:17:34 EDT 2005

Hi there

I've been comparing MSL pressure from GFS with a couple of barometers I have deployed at New Zealand ports.  The spectra from a year of data from GFS analyses and from the barometers are shown here:
http://www.mulgor.co.nz/MarsPt/GFSvsBaroSpect.png

We can clearly see that for the northern site, GFS matches the barometer in the S1 atmospheric tide, and it looks good for the southern site also, though it is not as easy to detect.  The amp of S1 goes like cos^3(latitude), so this is understandable.

My question is: given that S1 is present in the initial conditions for GFS, what happens next?  Are the physics for atmospheric tides included in GFS?  If not, what happens to S1??

Cheers
Derek

Derek Goring
Mulgor Consulting Ltd