variable names with Upper case in dtype netcdf

Diane Stokes Diane.Stokes at NOAA.GOV
Fri Feb 11 16:23:34 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm running GrADS 1.9b3 on both IBM AIX and SGI.

We have a netcdf file with about 17 variables.  The new "dtype netcdf"
can handle all but one, convU, apparently because there is an upper case
letter in the variable name:

ga-> d convU
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'convu'
   Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
   Expression = convu

I get the same msg whether I call it "convU" or "convu" at the grads
prompt or in the ctl file.

Following is the just that section from ncdump -c:

         float convU(Time, Surface, yt_j, xt_i) ;
                 convU:long_name = "convergence of H*ubar" ;
                 convU:units = "cm/s" ;
                 convU:valid_range = -300000.f, 300000.f ;
                 convU:missing_value = -1.e+34f ;
                 convU:_FillValue = -1.e+34f ;

When I regenerate the file calling that variable "convu" instead of
"convU", grads can display the variable.  (Note, grads does not have an
issue with the upper case in "Time" and "Surface").

However, I can successfully display the variable by opening the original
netcdf file using sdfopen or by opening a ddf with xdfopen.  So, it
seems it is just an issue with perhaps the "open" or "dtype netcdf"
section of the code.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a slight oversight in the code?

In this case, we are not in a rush for a resolution because convU isn't
an important parameter to us.  But it would be good to know for future
reference (in the case of a more critical parameter).

I'll provide a sample file or full "ncdump -c" output if it will be useful.

Best Regards,
   Diane Stokes

--
Diane Stokes