printim segmentation fault

Matthew Jones msjones at IC.SUNYSB.EDU
Fri Dec 9 15:39:08 EST 2005

Hello Group:

I am trying to install (via a new build) GrADS on my dual Opteron (64-bit)
SuSE Linux machine.  However, I am having a problem using the "printim"
command in the newly built gradsc.  The install seems to go well, with
printim enabled.  The only issue I can surmise is that it's a 64-bit thing.
is there any pre-compiled binaries for 64-bit Linux?  Do I need to add
special reference to lib64 prior to building?  I thought I did so in the
"supplibs" option/directory, but if someone had a configure line for a
64-bit Linux build which I could snag, that would be mint.

Thanks for any hints or suggestions to solving this problem!

-matt

Here is an example SEG fault (after which GrADS crashes and kicks me out to
a Linux prompt)...

<snip>
ga> open model
Scanning description file:  model
Data file model.dat is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -90 90
LEV set to 1000 1000
Time values set: 1987:1:2:0 1987:1:2:0
ga> d ps
Contouring: 500 to 1000 interval 50
ga> printim test.gif
Segmentation fault
</snip>

Here is my "q config" output...

<snip>
ga> q config
Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian lats printim

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Thu Dec  1 20:02:57 EST 2005 for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:

   o This is a 32-bit LITTLE ENDIAN machine version.
   o Command line editing (readline) DISABLED.
   o CIRES/CDC (http://www.cdc.noaa.gov) SDF/XDF interface DISABLED.
     This version is NOT configured to read NetCDF/HDF-SDS files.
   o DTYPE netcdf and DTYPE hdfsds are DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) gridded data interface DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) station data interface DISABLED.
   o PCMDI (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov) LATS interface ENABLED.
     This version is configured to write GRIB files (but no NetCDF/HDF files).
   o DAO (http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov) Athena Widget GUI DISABLED.
   o NRL/DAO/PCMDI XA or ImageMagick Image Output DISABLED.
   o printim command for direct png/gif output ENABLED.
     (via the GD Library -- http://www.boutell.com/gd)

For additional information please consult http://grads.iges.org/grads/
</snip>