Problems reading ECMWF-Grib Files

Ronny Meyer ronny.meyer at ENERGYMETEO.DE
Wed Dec 7 04:27:48 EST 2005

Dear GRADSUSERS!

I try to read operational ECMWF forcastdata with GRADS. The file format is
grib. I build the ctl file with grib2ctl (v0.9.12.5p33e) and the map with
"gribmap -e" . I can open the .ctl file (see below) in grads.

If I plot the whole field for the paramter thbl with "d thbl" I get the
following result
"Cannot contour grid - all undefined values".

If I set x and y to the origing (x,y)= (1,1) I get the result value =
9.999e+20.

You'd think, that the value is undefind, but: The textoutput from wgrib for
this point is 281.756 and not 999e+20, and 281.756 is the correct value.
So my questions is, what I am doing wrong? Or why gives Grads the wrong value?

Thanks in advance for any help
Regards,
Ronny

Using Grads v1.8SL11 32-bit little-endian und SuSe Linux Kernel 2.6.11.4-21.9

Content of ctl-file
dset ^ECMD_EMS_2005120500_003_GB18
index ^ECMD_EMS_2005120500_003_GB18.idx
undef 9.999E+20