Access data files in aggregation

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Apr 20 10:05:54 EDT 2005

Tony,
A 'dtype netcdf' descriptor file is not well-suited for OPeNDAP data
sets. When you use the sdf/open/xdfopen commands, the I/O is done once
for the entire requested grid; whereas with the open command and a
dtype netcdf descriptor, the I/O is done row-by-row. If the data is on
a server, using 'dtype netcdf' means you have to hit the server
multiple times and it's much to slow.  The way to do it is with XDFOPEN
-- just the first two lines of your descriptor file should be enough.
Jennifer