a bit more about dimensions

Eduardo Agosta eduardo.agosta at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 7 12:49:51 EDT 2005

Dear Jose PEsquero,

Thanks for your e-mail.
I didn´t realize that new vars TES and TE have added, or appended, the lev. I would like to drwar 1-D graphics with z or lev in the vertical and theta-e/s in the horizontal (vertical profiles of TE and TES). In this case, I do not know yet how to draw such graphics with these variables (how can I assign for each level a different variable TExxx for the same graph?). At first I thought that de vars created tha way were like the lev-variables normally used in grads (such as air, hgt, etc.) for which you just can set fix x, y and t releasing z free.
Thanks again for worthy help.
Eduardo.
(and as you see, I am not a GRADS Smart users at all!!!)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jose Fernando Pesquero
  To: Eduardo Agosta Scarel
  Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 1:10 PM
  Subject: Re: a bit more about dimensions

  Eduardo,

  Every looping step you have a new TE and TES. When i=1 you have TE1000 and TES1000 and follwing until the TE300 and TES300. Out of the in the next line you can display or do other calculation with those variables if you want it. Each variable has the value for that level and the next one won´t be write over this variable (will be defined a new one every looping step)

  The script seems normal, but what graphic type you are looking for? (1-D, 2-D?)

  Pesquero

Dear Pesquero, thanks for your help, It was really great.

But I wrote the script bellow following your suggestions, I do not
know why TE'level' and TES'level do not give different results, i mean
de variables saved only last calculation I think.

Could anybody help? What do I do wrong in the script?
Thanks again (and I appreciate a lot this forum!!)

*******************************
'set lat -60 10'
'set lon -120 -30'
'set t 1 610'

'define HR=rhum.1/100'

'define Tair=air.2+273.15'

'define rm=shum.3'

***********************
i = 1
ultimonivel=8
str="1000 925 850 700 500 600 400 300"

while (i <= ultimonivel)

level = subwrd(str,i)
'set lev 'level

'define airlift=1/(1/(Tair-55)-log(HR)/2840)+55'
'define A=0.2854*(1-0.28*10e-3*rm)'
'define B=3.376/airlift-0.00254'
'define C=1+0.81*10e-3*rm'
'define TE1=Tair*pow(1000/lev, A)'
'define TE2=exp(B*rm*C)'
'define TE'level'=TE1*TE2'

'define es=exp(-2937.4/Tair -4.29283*log(Tair) + 22.5518)'

'define presion=lev/10'
'define epsi=0.622'
'define rs=epsi*es/presion'

'define A=0.2854*(1-0.28*10e-3*rs)'