[gradsusr] Gribmap error with ECMWF open data

Andrew Revering andy at f5data.com
Wed Jun 28 23:12:03 EDT 2023

Wesley solved this problem for me.... I did the bold line of code below in
his response to convert the file to a format readable by gribmap and it
worked flawlessly. I didn't even have to recompile, my existing wgrib2
worked just fine.

Per Wesley Ebisuzaki at NOAA:

ECMWF has started distributing files using AEC compression.  GrADS/gribmap
use
NCEP's g2clib for reading grib2. AFAIK g2clib doesn't support AEC
compression.

The work around is to get a version of wgrib2 that was built with AEC
support.
The default build doesn't include AEC support because it requires a recent
version of CMake to build.  Once you get a version of  wgrib2 with AEC
support,
you convert the file from AEC compression to something that GrADS supports.

   *wgrib2 IN.grb -set_grib_type c3 -grib_out OUT.grb*

Unfortunately not all sites support CMake.  For example, CMake is not
available on CPC local workstations.

I am not aware of any efforts to add AEC support to g2clib.

Wesley

PS  building wgrib2
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/compile_questions.html
<https://geotrack.email/ext/l?idx=quKrbNPRrLCJcODnKcWv&ret=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov%2Fproducts%2Fwesley%2Fwgrib2%2Fcompile_questions.html>