[gradsusr] issues in displaying ERA5 data

Eduardo Agosta Scarel eduardo.agosta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 02:22:55 EST 2023

 Hi everyone:

I have recently experienced problems in using ERA5 data, downloaded using
either the website or the python script either in Grib or nectdf format.

When I read the files using Grads, the metadata is read, the file is open,
but the vertical dimensions LEV (Z) appears as a decimal --(negative)
value, with a warning message that I copy below.

Because of this, any data can be display and access.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Thanks,.

Eduardo.

----

LON set to 0 360

LAT set to -90 90

LEV set to 300.99 300.99

Time values set: 1950:1:15:0 1950:1:15:0

E set to 1 1

Notice: Z coordinate pressure values have been converted from Pa to mb

----

ga-> q dims

Default file number is: 1

X is varying   Lon = 0 to 360   X = 1 to 1441

Y is varying   Lat = -90 to 90   Y = 1 to 721

Z is fixed     Lev = 300.99  Z = -29698

T is fixed     Time = 00Z15JAN1950  T = 1

E is fixed     Ens = 1  E = 1

---

ga-> q file

File 1 :

  Descriptor:
/Users/home/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal/Documentos/Uni-Valencia/Resultados/
era5_u300.nc

  Binary:
/Users/home/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal/Documentos/Uni-Valencia/Resultados/
era5_u300.nc

  Type = Gridded

  Xsize = 1440  Ysize = 721  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 876  Esize = 1

  Number of Variables = 1

     u  1  t,z,y,x  Eastward Wind

ga-> d u

Data Request Error: Invalid grid coordinates

  World coordinates convert to non-integer  grid coordinates

    Variable = u  Dimension = 2

  Error ocurred at column 1

DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression

  Expression = u