[gradsusr] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] Future of GRADS

mike at weatherwatch.net.au mike at weatherwatch.net.au
Wed Dec 6 17:31:25 EST 2023

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks you so much for all the work you and the team have been doing for
GrADS.  It's been a fundamental piece of software for use in our company and
it has definitely made life a lot easier for us.  With regards to the larger
datasets, what we've been doing now is using wgrib2 to split this into
smaller subsets for processing and it has made a significant difference.  A
meteogram for example for 0-228 hours used to take 25s on GFS data, we've
now got this down to around 6s by using a smaller temporary subset. We've
also utilised things like spawning multiple instances of grads at the same
time for "multithreading" support if generating things like soundings that
require multiple Z levels, this has also significantly improved speed to <1s
in most cases.

Cheers, Mike