[gradsusr] GrADS performance vs alternatives?

Brian Gaze brianw.gaze at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:07:03 EDT 2022

Hi,

I've recently started generating ECMWF 50 member ensemble plots using a
GrADS script for a large latitude - longitude range. Technically it all
works fine, but the issue I'm having is performance. It is dependent of
course on CPU speed, but even with a very fast processor each individual
graph can take approx 1.5 seconds to render and save.

To an extent running instances on multiple cores helps, but generating a
range of graphs (e.g. 2m temps, 850hPa temps, MSLP etc...) can take a long
time. Perhaps 40 mins or so for a country the size of the United Kingdom.

Does anyone have tips for how to optimize performance in the script?
Alternatively, is there software available which runs much faster than
GrADS script to do the same thing?

Thanks

BWG