[gradsusr] The 2021 day-of-week bug

Adams, Jennifer M. (GSFC-610.2)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC] jennifer.m.adams at nasa.gov
Sun Jan 3 18:55:24 EST 2021

Hi, Everyone –
GrADS version 2.2.2 has the patch for this bug along with some other useful and vital updates to the supplibs and the Python interface. I am sincerely grateful for all the workarounds that many of you have shared while I’ve been working to test the new version and prepare the new release during the down time of the holiday period. At this point, I am satisfied with the code, which you can grab from my dev branch at https://github.com/j-m-adams/GrADS/tree/dev. If you try out the dev code and find any issues, please let me know ASAP.

My plan is to move it to the master branch, tag it, and post a source code tarball to COLA’s servers tomorrow (when my brain is a little fresher than it is now). I am rushing the release process a bit because of the urgent nature of this bug. I will do my best to update the online documentation as quickly as possible on the heels of the code release. I am not sure what to do about pre-compiled binaries … I recall that my builds of version 2.2.1 were not perfectly portable. If you can build from source, please be prepared for these Supplib changes:
ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/Supplibs/2.2/src/udunits-2.2.26.tar.gz
ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/Supplibs/2.2/src/hdf5-1.10.6.tar.gz
ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/data3.tar.gz (this has the new udunits2 data files in it).

I have had a lot of success using the anaconda python environment as a substitute for the $SUPPLIBS. Your mileage may vary, and not all the libs that GrADS uses are available as conda packages, but it works well for the big ones.

Thanks for your patience!
--Jennifer

--
Jennifer Miletta Adams