[gradsusr] Array Variable displaying as string not numbers

Jan Ising jising at aggies.ncat.edu
Thu Feb 13 20:39:27 EST 2020

Hello,

    I am new to GrADS and came across an issue that has given me quite some
frustration. I am writing a script that calculates the temperature
difference between two levels at each point within a region and then
displays the values in the terminal (my script is indented to do more than
this but the root of my issue arises from here). The problem is that the
terminal displays the literal value of T_Diff (i.e " 'tc(Lev = 800) -
tc(Lev = 700)' ", and not 15,18,22,etc... (for example)). Here is my code:

(open file and setup basic graphics output formatting)

TheLat = 31
while(TheLat >=31 & TheLat <=37.5)
'set Lat 'TheLat
TheLong = -115
    while (TheLong>=-115 & TheLong<=-108)
        'set Lon 'TheLong
        T_Diff = 'tc(Lev = 800) - tc(Lev = 700)'
        say T_Diff
        TheLong = TheLong + 0.5
    endwhile
TheLat = TheLat + 0.5
endwhile

Perhaps this issue is a simple syntax error, perhaps it is a logic error,
either way I am here to figure that out, any help would be greatly
appreciated!

-Thank you,
Jon