[gradsusr] Is there an easy way in GrADS to sample / aggregate a large data set instead of plotting it at full resolution?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:50:04 EST 2020

You can write a control file and adjust the nx and ny values in the XDEF
and YDEF lines so that GrADS attempts to plot your fields on a coarser
grid. You could also try either using opengrads' re() function or getting a
coarser dummy field and using lterp() to interpolate your raw grid to a
coarser grid before plotting.

Hopefully I understood your question properly. Good luck.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM Robert Kuligowski <bob.kuligowski at noaa.gov>
wrote:

> All,
>
>      I have some netCDF files with 6501 lines and 18,000 columns that
> I'm plotting in GrADS, and creating the .png  output files is taking a
> long time.  I clearly don't need that much detail in the actual image,
> so is there a simple way to sample or aggregate the data in GrADS before
> plotting in order to make it render more quickly?  I looked through the
> documentation but wasn't able to find the droids I'm looking for.  Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bob Kuligowski, Ph.D.
> Meteorologist
> NOAA/NESDIS/Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR)
>
> Mailing Address:
> National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
> NESDIS STAR/SMCD
> Bob Kuligowski
> NCWCP E/RA2
> 5830 University Research Court
> 2nd Floor, Office #2828
> College Park, MD 20740-3818
>
> Phone:  (301) 683-3593
> Fax  :  (301) 683-3616
>
> http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/star/Kuligowski_B.php
> http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/ff/index.php

Jeff Duda, Research Scientist
University of Colorado Boulder
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
NOAA/OAR/ESRL/Global Systems Laboratory
Boulder, CO