[gradsusr] Accumulated Precip issues

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 22:46:43 EST 2020

Mike,
You can use a t-index skip value in the sum function. So you would do
something like *sum(apcpsfc,t=1,t=72,2*) to sum precip grids from *only
every other time index* in the control file. This, of course, assumes the
interval is regular and that the 6-hourly data contains all of the 3-hourly
data. I think for GFS output this is indeed true, but you should check a
few time steps just to be sure. Plotting the difference between a few pairs
of time-consecutive precip fields should help you confirm.

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 8:30 PM Mike Manning <weathermon83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> There are several models which provide GRIB2 data with say 3 hourly until
> x amount of hours and then 6 hourly until the end of that run.  Some models
> even have a tertiary time step where they run hourly, 3 hourly and then 6
> hourly data..
>

> At the moment for templating, I’m creating a control file for each series
> however this doesn’t seem ideal for accumulated precip.  EG I can use
> sum(apcpsfc, t=1, t=72) for a model that uses hourly from 1-72 hours, but
> what would I do for a model that then goes 3 hourly from 72-144 hours for
> accumulated precip? How would I get the entire 1-144 hours of accumulated
> precip totals? Is there a better way of templating the data so it’s all
> combined or does it need to be kept separate because I’m dealing with
> different time series? I can’t seem to find any way to tally together the
> accumulated precip data once the time series changes from hourly to 3
> hourly (and again for models that have 3 time series such as UKMO)
>

> Cheers, Mike

Jeff Duda, Research Scientist
University of Colorado Boulder
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
NOAA/OAR/ESRL/Global Systems Laboratory
Boulder, CO