[gradsusr] North Arrow

Tim Van Damme tim at stormcell.be
Fri Mar 8 06:52:08 EST 2019

Hello Joe,

I am not sure if you can plot this straight from GrADS, but I know there is a workaround.

If for example you plot a chart at 800 x 600 pixels, you can always create a transparent overlay with a compass and a scale.

For example: I plot a chart that defines the chance of thunderstorms. The outcome of the formula is a number between -12 and 12, but that makes it difficult for people to understand, so I created an overlay that says: very low chance – low chance – medium chance – high chance – very high chance.

To use the overlay you need to make sure the png file is situated in the folder where the chart is plotted, and it needs to have the same size.

Then use ‘gxprint filename.png x800 y600 –f overlayimagename.png’

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Tim Van Damme

+32 499 61 25 61