[gradsusr] Problems compiling on Ubuntu 16.04

Stephen Woodbridge stephenwoodbridge37 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 13:45:54 EST 2019

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your quit response. Also, I have not received the response
in email, but found it in the archives.

I removed the symlinks that I made to /usr/lib and I edited all the
paths in *.la files and that seems to fix the initial problem.

cd /usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs/lib

vi *.la

and did  :%s at local/grads at local/lib/grads at g  on each file and saved the
results.

Now I run into this issue of a missing readline/history.h file:

/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I. -I/usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs//include
-I/usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs//include  -DSHRDOBJ -g -O2 -rdynamic
-c -o libgradspy_la-grads.lo `test -f 'grads.c' || echo './'`grads.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
-I/usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs//include
-I/usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs//include -DSHRDOBJ -g -O2 -rdynamic
-c grads.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libgradspy_la-grads.o
grads.c:44:30: fatal error: readline/history.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

I have readline and editline packages installed via apt, but I don't see
a readline/history.h in /usr/local and none in
/usr/local/lib/grads/2.2/supplibs//include, in fact there is not
readline dir there either

Can you send me that file and I'll add it to the supplibs/include and
see if that fixes things?

-Steve

> Hi, Stephen —
> The  *.la files in the $SUPPLIBS/lib directory were created by libtool and have the hard-coded paths to my working directories. I don’t really understand exactly how/when they get used when building the shared object files on new systems, but they are ruining the portability of my supplibs.
>
> 1. Try moving them to a different location (I sometimes create a subdiretory called $SUPPLIBS/lib/hide and move files there if I don’t want the linker/compiler to find them). If that doesn’t work …
>
> 2. Try editing those files with the path on your local system.
>
> If neither of those options work, you have to rebuild the libraries. Guidance for doing that is athttp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/supplibs2.html.  Please let me know which option works for you, because this question keeps rearing its ugly head and I want to nail down an answer.
>
> —Jennifer

---