[gradsusr] Plotting a gray-filled map and then overlaying variables

Tracey tdorian10 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 11:51:40 EDT 2019

Hi GrADS users,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to plot a map with gray fill, and then
overlay fields over the gray map?  When I run my GrADS script, the gray map
appears briefly and then disappears completely and I am left with only the
plotted fields and no map.  I've tried placing the "basemap" lines in
multiple places, but nothing seems to work.  Are the order of steps in my
script incorrect?

For example, in my script I have:

'set display color white'

'c'

'set grads off'

'set grid off'

'set mpdraw off'

'open gfs.ctl'

'set mpdset hires'

'set mproj latlon'

'set frame on'

'set lat 20 55'

'set lon -130 -60'

'set gxout contour'

'set clevs 0'

'set ccolor 0'

'd MSLETmsl'

'! cp /directory/with/asc/files/*.asc .'

'set rgb 17 220 220 220'

'basemap L 17 17 L'

'set rgb 16 180 180 220'

'basemap O 0 0 L'