[gradsusr] grads for mac

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:53:50 EDT 2018

I am cc’ing the forum because I think it is more important than ever to keep the gradsusr members (and the archives) in the loop on questions that deal with building GrADS.

I really don’t know anything about compilers, and I am forever struggling to get Apple’s updated compilers (gcc/clang/llvm/whatever) to work when building GrADS and its supplibs. I have met this error before:

> checking whether the C compiler works… no

Shake your fists at the universe, then look for that phrase in the config.log file and see if you can determine where/how that error occurred. The config.log file should show you exactly what went wrong. Which gcc is getting used? On my laptop, /usr/bin/gcc and /Developer/usr/bin/gcc are not the same thing and only the former works for everything, so I aliased it (see below). I also set the environment variable CC to /usr/bin/gcc.

# which gcc
gcc: 	 aliased to /usr/bin/gcc

Other options:
1. Ask for help from the NetCDF team at Unidata.
2. Use MacPorts (https://www.macports.org/). That software will build grads-2.2.1 for you.

—Jennifer

--
Jennifer Miletta Adams