[gradsusr] How to extract / display the file time when using a template?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:41:33 EST 2018

Use 'q time' (or 'q dims' also works) and the appropriate grads script
functions to parse the result string and plot it on the image.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Bob Kuligowski - NOAA Federal <
bob.kuligowski at noaa.gov> wrote:

> All,
>
>     I'm using a template to create a loop of images for an entire day.  I
> have the appropriate template settings in DSET, OPTIONS, and TDEF of my
> .ctl file; e.g.,
>
> DSET ^/data/smcd2/rainfall/yli/ABI/Evaluation/srcNewFixCof/output
>> New/2018/022/RRR_GRABI2018022%h2%n2.nc
>> OPTIONS yrev template
>> DTYPE netcdf
>> UNDEF  -99
>> UNPACK scale_factor add_offset
>> TITLE Operational GOES-R QPE
>> XDEF 5424 LINEAR 1 1
>> YDEF 5424 LINEAR 1 1
>> ZDEF 1 LEVELS 1000
>> TDEF 96 LINEAR 00:00Z22JAN2018 15mn
>> VARS 1
>> RRQPE=>rr_v5y   1 y,x   RRQPE
>> ENDVARS
>>
>     Everything displays just fine, BUT...I would like to be able to
> display the hour and minute of each file in the image along with the
> associated data field.  Is there a GrADS variable that will either give me
> the value of TDEF associated with the that I can parse for display, or at
> least the value of %h2 and %n2 associated with the time period currently
> being displayed so I can create a time string to append to the image
> display?  Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bob Kuligowski, Ph.D.
> Meteorologist
> NOAA/NESDIS/Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR)
>
> Mailing Address:
> National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
> NESDIS STAR/SMCD
> Bob Kuligowski
> NCWCP E/RA2
> 5830 University Research Court
> 2nd Floor, Office #2828
> College Park, MD 20740-3818
>
> Phone:  (301) 683-3593
> Fax  :  (301) 683-3616
>
> http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/star/Kuligowski_B.php
> http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/ff/index.php

Jeff Duda
Research Scientist
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences at the
University of Colorado