[gradsusr] GrADS Milestones

Alan Robock robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
Thu Apr 26 15:07:40 EDT 2018

Dear Brian and Jennifer,

I was at the University of Maryland when GrADS was invented by Brian
Doty.  I remember two small contributions I made during that time.
Originally, the default time interval was 3 years for certain record
lengths.  I asked Brian to change that to either 1 or 5, as 3 was not
nearly as easy to understand.  He changed it instantly.  Another time, I
was trying to plot Fig. 1 of
http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/WinterWarming.pdf , which involved
13 small maps.  But the program kept crashing.  I asked Brian about it,
and it turns out he never thought someone would make such a large output
file, and he had a limit set for a buffer.  He said, "Try it now," and
by the time I had walked down the hall to my office and tried it again,
it had been changed.

So thanks for this wonderful program, which has allowed me and
scientists around the world to easily plot observations and model output
in an intuitive way, with great looking figures and maps.  I can still
instantly identify a GrADS figure when I see it in a talk or paper.  And
I look forward to continuing to use it for a long time to come.

Alan

Alan Robock, Distinguished Professor
   Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
Department of Environmental Sciences             Phone: +1-848-932-5751
Rutgers University                                 Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                  E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA     http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robockhttp://twitter.com/AlanRobock         2017 Nobel Peace Prize to ICAN!
Watch my 18 min TEDx talk at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrEk1oZ-54