[gradsusr] question about political and state boundaries

Cathy Smith cathy.smith at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 25 11:44:27 EDT 2017

Hi all

We had a user notice that the European boundaries we use for our
composite maps were out-of-date. We were using 'mres' from GrADS and we
switched to 'newmap' (don't see this documented on the GrADs help
pages). The US state boundaries don't draw with newmap so we have to use
mres. We also use hires for some maps. I notice the hires draws many
lakes and we don't want that. Even the mres draws some lakes.

What map boundaries should we use for Europe if we want country
boundaries? For the US including states? We would like simpler
boundaries (that is not too many lakes/rivers) but we do want them
up-to-date and not including non existent or changed countries.

Thanks for any insight.

Cathy Smith

NOAA/ESRL PSD and CU CIRES
303-497-6263
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/cathy.smith/

Emails about data/webpages may get quicker responses from emailing
esrl.psd.data at noaa.gov