[gradsusr] Problem about sdfopen CFSv2 forecast opendap data

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Sep 7 07:24:02 EDT 2017

The metadata provided by the THREDDS server isn’t sufficiently GrADS-friendly for sdfopen to work, but using the output from ncdump, you can construct a descriptor file:

dset https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/cfs_v2_for_ts/2014/201408/20140828/2014082806/z850.01.2014082806.daily.grb2
dtype netcdf
options yrev
undef -9.99e8 missing_value
xdef 360 linear 0 1
ydef 181 linear -90 1
zdef 1 levels 850
tdef 1227 linear 12z28aug2014 6hr
vars 1
Geopotential_height_isobaric=>z850  1  t,z,y,x  Geopotential Height at 850mb [gpm]
endvars

Note: the definition of the Z axis could also be ‘zdef linear 0 1’ — it’s up to you which is more convenient.
—Jennifer