[gradsusr] grads 2 widgets

Davide Sacchetti davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it
Fri Oct 6 04:23:31 EDT 2017

Hello developers:
just some basic consideration and a question/request about GrADS 2

Since 2013-12-16 with Version 2.1.a1 all the graphics are handled by
the Cairo library.
Besides graphics quality has really improved a lot (fonts, contour,
etc.) there at least two drawbacks:
 * widgets have been temporarily disabled
 * graphics generation is markedly slower

In our center we make an intensive use of widgets (see attacc.) so we
can't switch to recent versions (unless using -d X11).

Waiting for widgets to be enabled ... it would be great to have a
chance to load X11 or Cairo on the fly. Something like perl modules
commands "use" and "no": use X11, no X11, use Cairo, ...

In my mind I could use dropmenu in X11 and then display in Cairo
but I have not idea if this request could be accomplished with a
reasonable effort or not ...

Best regards
Davide Sacchetti