[gradsusr] Freezing Level

Ricardo Hallak ricardo.hallak at iag.usp.br
Sun Nov 5 14:51:26 EST 2017

Hi, Steve.

I've tested the fndlvl function this way:
http://prntscr.com/h6m908

and it worked very well, as you can see in the display. *Results in hPa*.

I got the same result for:
 define H=fndlvl(tmpprs,const(tmpprs,273.16),lev=1000,lev=400)
d H

With shaded:
http://prntscr.com/h6mb2j

As you say you want "to determine the freezing level in meters (or feet)",
my guess is tath your data is in meters (or some other similar linear
vertical grid), while the fndlvl function needs the gridded data in
pressure vertical levels.

P.S.: If you have grid data in pressure levels, after calculating the
freezing level in hPa, you can convert the result from pressure to meters
(for example, using the hypsometric equation).

Hope this helps.
Regards,

--
Prof. Ricardo Hallak
Laboratório de Meteorologia de Mesoescala - LMM

Phone: +55(11)3091-4698