[gradsusr] Cannot Contour Grid - all undefined values error

Wesley Ebisuzaki - NOAA Federal wesley.ebisuzaki at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 6 13:16:31 EDT 2017

Bill,

I had no problems plotting the efi* and pctile* files.  This is not to brag
to to say that with a little more understanding, you can start making plots!

g2ctl is a simple program.  When you make a ctl file from a single grib
file,
it looks for the records with the earliest, second earliest and last time
stamp.  For example,

earliest time stamp:   00Z jan 1 2017
next time stamp:        06Z jan 1 2017
last time stamp:         18Z jan 2 2017

>From these three time stamps, g2ctl knows

   1) data starts at 00Z jan 1 2017
   2) dt=6 hours
   3) number of time steps = 8
       -> grads ctl file:  tdef 8 linear 00Z01jan2017 6hr

If you have data at 07Z jan 1, 2017, gribmap will ignore it because it is
expecting data
every 6 hours.

g2ctl needs to make a list of variables for the control file.  To save
time, g2ctl
makes the variable list from the first and second time steps.  If the 3rd
time step
and a new variable, g2ctl will not find it.  Since you are  combining efi*
and pctile*
files, this may have happened.

The GrADS data model only has one time dimension.  For example,

   default mode:    analysis at 00Z Jan 3 2017  has the same time as
                             24 hour forecast from 00Z Jan 2, 2017.

To get around this problem, you have to be careful that g2ctl and gribmap
using the same time mode.  For your files,

default:  (no option) use verification time (end of time average)
-0:          use start of forecast (initial time)
-b:          use start of time average

For my test, I used the -b mode.

When you make your files, you should either make

    cat pctile.2017060200.* >pctile.2017060200.grib2
or
    cat pctile.*.000_to_024hrs.grib2 >pctile.000_to_024hrs.grib2

Combining pctile and efi files is asking for trouble.

Wesley Ebisuzaki