[gradsusr] Help to make GRADS control file from WRF model output

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 14:06:13 EDT 2017

ARWPost is getting pretty old and I believe is not supported or is
deprecated. The new standard post processor is the Unified Post Processor:
http://www.dtcenter.org/upp/users/index.php

You'll need both netCDF and GRIB file format support to use it.

Additionally, I wrote a FORTRAN program awhile back that can generate
control files by reading a WRF history file in netCDF format. I can pass
that along if you wish.

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:32 AM, afwande juliet <afwandej965 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your response, I first extracted my data and interpolated them
> to pressure using NCL. Then I used the example online
> http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html
> to create a decriptor file for GRADS from wrfoutput
> strangely when I try to open QVAPOR, no data is displayed and only blank
> map appears
> when I open data using ferret the data is correctly plotted
>
> can someone help me see what could be wrong with my ctl file. Attached is
> two sample output from GRADS and ferret and wrfoutput
>
> I Tried using ARWPOST but fortran compiler refused to work and am not good
> in solving it​
>  f200hPa1988Oct01Z06-1988Oct24Z00.nc
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6lPljzT63mfNGNWOWpnakViaWM/view?usp=drive_web>
>>

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Hristina Kirova <hristina.kirova at meteo.bg
> > wrote:
>
>> Have you tried with ARWpost? It is designed for that purpose. It is
>> described in WRF user's guide as well as in wrf online tutorial
>> http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/ARWpost/index.html
>>
>> > Dear users of GRADS
>> > I struggled to read WRF model output in GRADS but not able
>> > Can someone help show how to create a descriptor file from WRF model
>> > output
>> > to be read by GRADS
>> > I have tried to use  this link
>> > http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html but not able