[gradsusr] GrADS vs GDS data discrepancies

Matt Alonso matt.alonso at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 09:52:47 EST 2017

Hi Jennifer,

Ugh, not sure how I missed that.  I assumed there was a user error
somewhere in there :(

2.0.2 has been a very stable workhorse of mine for several years - thanks
to you and Brian!  So there was never a reason to change.  While attempting
to debug prior to emailing, I did try using
grads-2.1.0-bin-CentOS5.11-x86_64.tar.gz
but, as you mention in the changelog for 2.1.1.b0, there was an issue w/the
ssl libs.  I did get 2.1.1.b0 working though.  One thing I did just notice
though is that plotting the same metric from a local netcdf (8007x4004)
takes about twice as long using v2.1.1.b0 (30 seconds) compared to 2.0.2
(14 seconds).  That is certainly not a complaint in any way, shape, or
form, but this node generates 1,000's of maps a day, so this would make a
material difference to load and performance.

After using the patched subset.gs you provided, everything is working
perfectly in 2.1.1.b0!  The seg fault is still there in 2.0.2 though.  I
will dig into that a little bit more.

Thanks again!

Regards,
Matt