[gradsusr] * * * New release: GrADS 2.1.1.b0 * * *

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:16:51 EST 2017

On Feb 14, 2017, at 12:00 PM, Ryglicki, Dr. David, Contractor, Code 7533 <david.ryglicki.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil<mailto:david.ryglicki.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil>> wrote:

Hi, Jennifer.

Thank you for your hard work. This looks really interesting and powerful. I have a couple questions, if you (and the community) don’t mind.

1. I’m under the assumption that all plug-ins have to be written in C.
Yes, because the plug-in needs to include grads.h.

I’m not sure if you’ve tried this, but does this mean that all Fortran subroutines we all have (presumably) lying around have to be either converted to C outright or need to be wrapped Fortran 2003-style?
I will post another example to the docs that is based on a fortran program. The ‘wrapper’ parts of the program were translated into C, but the bulk of the work is done with calls to a fortran library that doesn’t need to be modified.

Are there any plans for a GrADS Fortran API? (Last question is really pie in the sky)
Nope.

2. What should functions return?
The return value is an integer that is treated as a return code (0=success, 1=failure). The gastat structure that is passed to the function is where the data results get stored.

Arrays?
The result can be gridded or station data.

What if we want to return a lat/lon? Should that come out in a print statement and be processed via typical scripting methods (sublin, subwrd, etc.)?
Sure, just use the gaprnt() function and it will be passed into the ‘result’ variable in your script.

3. Is the to-come “defop” meant to operate on “defined” variables in place?
Exactly.

Just curious. Thanks.

~Dave