[gradsusr] How to install Grads in macOS Sierra

Eduardo Agosta Scarel eduardo.agosta at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:27:55 EST 2017

Thanks, Jennifer and Andrew, for your valuable suggestions.

By using MacPorts for GrADS 2.2.0 installation, I must report the same bugs
Jeniffer pointed out on missing libraries.

Then I installed the 2.1.b0 bundle version,  and so far it seems to work
properly on my Mac OS (High) Sierra. I also installed the OpenGrADS version
2.1.0.oga.1 (retrieved from their website) and it also works properly.

If I face some troubles when using I will make you know.
Many thanks, again, for all your support.
Edu.

> The builds I posted for GrADS 2.1.1.b0 for darwin 13.4 (linked from
> http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/downloads.php) will work on OS X Sierra.
>
> Since the release of 2.1.1.b0, I was forced to upgrade to OS X Sierra
> (darwin 16.7). With every update, Apple keeps making it more and more
> difficult for me to build GrADS from source — Xcode, the developer toolkit,
> the compilers, the dwindling support for X11, it’s all a morass. The
> MacPorts Project is a wonderful resource that I wholeheartedly support and
> recommend for installing (with minimal suffering) all kinds of software on
> your Mac.
>
> My OS X builds of GrADS 2.2.0 rely on MacPorts, and are dynamically linked
> to libraries under /opt, the partition where MacPorts installs everything
> it needs. In the past, users who have not used MacPorts and don’t have /opt
> on their Apple computers have been unable to use my executables. But I am
> coming to the conclusion that as GrADS moves to a reliance on dynamically
> linked libraries and as Apple moves away from a an OS that looks like unix,
> reliance on MacPorts will be unavoidable. I will put together a tarball of
> what I have for GrADS 2.2.0 for Mac/Sierra as soon as I can and we’ll see
> how it goes for other users. Demand has been nonexistent for a recent Mac
> build.
>
> Meanwhile, I just checked on the MacPorts port of GrADS. It is maintained
> by someone named Takeshi, who has created a portfile for GrADS 2.2.0, but I
> was unable to get it to build on my mac because of errors with the
> dap/gadap libraries. The struggle is real — getting these C++ libraries to
> compile and link with GrADS has always been the most challenging part of
> building from source. If you are reading this, Takeshi, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
> FOR YOUR EFFORT and please contact me offline.
>
> —Jennifer
>

> > On Dec 16, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Andrew Friedman <andfried at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can install GrADS using MacPorts: https://www.macports.org/
> > -Andrew
> >
> > On 16 Dec 2017, at 01:09, Eduardo Agosta Scarel <
> eduardo.agosta at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Grads users.
> >> I had to move to another country for three years.
> >> I am an usual user of Grads for Windows. It happens now that this is my
> first time I find myself working on a Mac.
> >> Some things looks like under Linux, but find things a bit different.
> >>
> >> Can someone help me how to install Grads on Mac running under IOS XI
> (Sierra)?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any help in this sense.
> >> Edu.
> R8UgBBZBBzmiho_FBr49mLcxWoUfGHazjJFr89yVeRB3d
> 2FB2HM6RTbrAVqv9jpeF8Cw5fCSqESnw7hM8OtTT0EJqu3-jkuHz69bVKm8YKAmX1DJLbEnOU-
> HnM12EINV3bl86aRexvzZLZsnJgUKs_nC707X_PG-w5eYdCZ9P4UK2Va08bXXuP31BKUWl1
> X8mFbIQ12T94dNeyt2cDVvducFkl0YCxwLNEQgdUY55ZmXwNSGshXsqCr8j2k_aP17noeHF3_
> dXLAydmedeQPKj38h3saS0uDbSi0pGXb8skVkPpmfP7h3sCVMnSngOoEfR6Y
> [...]

Eduardo Agosta Scarel

"The Carmelite NGO is a way to promote justice, peace and care for creation"
"La ONG Carmelita es una manera de promover la justicia, la paz y el
cuidado de la creación"
*http://carmelitengo.org/ <http://carmelitengo.org/>*