[gradsusr] Unable to read a netCDF file because the variable file name is apparently too long

M.Mahakur mmahakur at tropmet.res.in
Tue Dec 5 10:10:08 EST 2017

Hi,Can you rename this using some netcdf tools?Else, I feel you need to have a GrADS ctl, in which you need to point this to smaller variable name..Best Regards, Mahakur----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Kuligowski - NOAA Federal <bob.kuligowski at noaa.gov>
To: GrADS Users Forum <gradsusr at gradsusr.org>
Sent: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 20:12:29 +0530 (IST)
Subject: [gradsusr] Unable to read a netCDF file because the variable file name is apparently too long

I have a netCDF file with satellite brightness temperatures in
 it, and the variable name is 'Brightness_Temperature',
 which is acceptable according to the CF
 Standard Name Table.  However, when I try to read it in
 GrADS, the variable name appears to be truncated to 17 characters
 and thus GrADS can't read it:
Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
  'brightness_temper' not a variable or function name
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = brightness_temperatureIs there a relatively straightforward way around this?  Thanks!
Cheers,
--
Bob Kuligowski, Ph.D.
Meteorologist