[gradsusr] Convert WRF output to rainrate

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:30:24 EDT 2017

There is no way to convert the output from RAINNC or RAINC (WRF history
arrays for grid-resolved and convectively parameterized precipitation,
respectively) from accumulations to instantaneous rain rates. However, if
you are running convective parameterization, the array PRATEC will provide
instantaneous rain rates, but only that produced by the convective scheme
itself.

The only thing you can really do is take the difference in accumulated
rainfall over your 1-hour intervals to get a 1-hour rain rate. You don't
need a script to do it, as it's a one-line command:

'd rain(t=x)-rain(t=x-1)'

where x is any time index corresponding to valid data.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Usha Verma <loukayaverma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear fellow GrADS users,
>
> I have WRF 1hr rainfall output data and i want to compare this output with
> satellite rainrate data (TRMM,GPM)
> My question is as below
>
> How to convert WRF(mm) rainfall data into rainrate(mm/hr)?
> If you have any script regarding this please share it.
>
> Sincerely,
> Usha

Jeff Duda
Post-doctoral research fellow