[gradsusr] question about "Low Level I/O Error: Seek error on data file"

Eric Aligo eric.aligo at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 13 12:38:11 EDT 2017

Hi Jennifer,
I've encountered the same issue as Paul with two different versions of
GraDS.  My workaround is to split the file into multiple sub files, but
that's undesirable.  At some point I will try to duplicate the error and
send the requested info as well.
Eric
On 04/13/2017 11:00 AM, Jennifer M Adams wrote:
> Hi, Paul —
> GrADS is having trouble figuring out where to set the pointer in the
> data file to read the desired grid — that variable fpos should not be
> -2110654536. I would try the following strategy:
> 1. create a separate non-templated descriptor file for this particular
> data file
> 2. try to display zvort for the first and last time steps and see if
> you are still getting the error
> 3. the fpos variable is calculated based on the current dimension
> environment and the structure of the data file (order of variables,
> etc.) so if you can duplicate the error with the one file, please also
> send the output from ‘q file' and ‘q dims’ before you try your display.
> —Jennifer
>
> On Apr 13, 2017, at 9:48 AM, Paul Markowski <pmarkowski at psu.edu
> <mailto:pmarkowski at psu.edu>> wrote:
>
>> Hello Grads users,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this Grads error before:
>>
>> ga-> d zvort
>> Low Level I/O Error:  Seek error on data file
>>   Data file name = cm1out_00%y4_s.dat
>> 650 rc=-1 fpos=-2110654536 pfi->fhdr=0
>>   Error occurred when seeking to byte -8442618144
>> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'zvort'
>>   Error ocurred at column 1
>> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>>   Expression = zvort
>>
>> In case it matters, I'm trying to display output from George Bryan's CM1
>> model (CM1 is a popular cloud-resolving model used heavily in the
>> convective storms community, but is also used by the boundary layer and
>> mountain meteorology communities).  I've used Grads to display CM1
>> output for 15 years, and this is the first time I've ever seen this
>> strange error.  It might be noteworthy that I get this error only for
>> some of the variables that I'm trying to display.  My output file is ~7
>> GB.  I've tried both Grads 2.0.1 and 2.1.a3; same error with both.  I
>> don't know if it has to do with the large file size; perhaps there's a
>> "large memory" compile option that wasn't properly used when the code
>> was compiled?  I'd be grateful for any insight you might have!
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>> Paul Markowski
>> Professor of Meteorology
>> Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
>> Pennsylvania State University
>> 520 Walker Building
>> University Park, PA 16802
>> email: pmarkowski at psu.edu <mailto:pmarkowski at psu.edu>
>> phone: 814.865.9736
>> web: http://sites.psu.edu/pmarkowski

> Jennifer Miletta Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
> George Mason University

Dr. Eric Aligo
I. M. Systems Group, Regional Model Developer
NCEP/EMC
5830 University Research Court
College Park, MD  20740, USA
Phone (301) 683-3686