[gradsusr] question about "Low Level I/O Error: Seek error on data file"

Paul Markowski pmarkowski at psu.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:48:48 EDT 2017

Hello Grads users,

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this Grads error before:

ga-> d zvort
Low Level I/O Error:  Seek error on data file
   Data file name = cm1out_00%y4_s.dat
650 rc=-1 fpos=-2110654536 pfi->fhdr=0
   Error occurred when seeking to byte -8442618144
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'zvort'
   Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
   Expression = zvort

In case it matters, I'm trying to display output from George Bryan's CM1
model (CM1 is a popular cloud-resolving model used heavily in the
convective storms community, but is also used by the boundary layer and
mountain meteorology communities).  I've used Grads to display CM1
output for 15 years, and this is the first time I've ever seen this
strange error.  It might be noteworthy that I get this error only for
some of the variables that I'm trying to display.  My output file is ~7
GB.  I've tried both Grads 2.0.1 and 2.1.a3; same error with both.  I
don't know if it has to do with the large file size; perhaps there's a
"large memory" compile option that wasn't properly used when the code
was compiled?  I'd be grateful for any insight you might have!

Paul

--
Paul Markowski
Professor of Meteorology