[gradsusr] Diabatic heating

Anubhav Choudhary anubha64_ses at jnu.ac.in
Wed Apr 5 11:33:51 EDT 2017

Dear Rai ji,

you can calculate diabatic heating using this formula- which is a rate of
conversion of theta (potential temperature) to absolute temperature

[image: Inline image 1]

there is one more method by Yanai et al. (1973) --
[image: Inline image 2]

for further reference please see this link-
http://hannahlab.org/a-comparison-of-methods-for-estimating-diabatic-heating/

further, you can read these papers --
*Nigam et al. (2000)--- ENSO Diabatic Heating in ECMWF and NCEP–NCAR
Reanalyses, and NCAR CCM3 Simulation*
Hoskins, B. J., H. H. Hsu, I. N. James, M. Masutani, P. D. Sardeshmukh, and
G. H. White, 1989: Diagnostics of the global atmospheric circulation based
on ECMWF analyses 1979–1989. Tech. Document WCRP-27, WMO/TD-No. 326, WMO,
217 pp
Nigam, S., 1994: On the dynamical basis for the Asian summer monsoon
rainfall—El Nin˜o relationship. J. Climate, 7, 1750–1771.
Li, C., and M. Yanai, 1996: The onset and interannual variability of the
Asian summer monsoon in relation to land–sea thermal contrast. J. Climate,
9, 358–375
Schaack, T. K., and D. R. Johnson, 1994: January and July global
distributions of atmospheric heating for 1986, 1987, and 1988. J. Climate,
7, 1270–1285.

Regards
Anubhav