[gradsusr] Convert NCL Color Tables to Grads Format

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:47:47 EDT 2016

If I recall correctly, NCL and Grads color tables are defined quite
similarly in RGB format, but in NCL the colors are defined as fractions
whereas in Grads the bit numbers are used. So for example, red in NCL is
1.0 0.0 0.0, while in grads it is 255 0 0. So really all you need to do is
multiply the fractions by 255. Then to set colors, you just use

'set rgb NN RR GG BB'
where you select the color number NN and RR/GG/BB are as above. Also set
the contour levels.

Jeff Duda

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Brian Bernard <
brian.brianbernard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any way to convert NCL color tables for use in
> Grads?
>
> I've come across a nice color table in NCL I wish to use for snowfall
> accumulation.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brian Bernard

Jeff Duda