[gradsusr] Good map projection for large areas

Ivan Toman ivtoman at inet.hr
Tue Sep 6 15:49:43 EDT 2016

Hello GrADS users,

I would like to know is there a way to display map of large area without
(too much) stretching of high latitudes? I attached example map with NMM
domain, and GrADS stretches high latitudes using default projection so
it doesn't look good at all.

I need to add that I don't have good results with any projection
described in http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetmproj.html

For example, 'set mproj lambert' actually do create more naturally
looking map without distorting high latitudes, but for some reason does
fill only center of image and leaves huge amount of white space around.

What would be the best approach to this?

Thank you in advance,

Ivan Toman