[gradsusr] ENSO Forecast Plumes

James Spinks jspin881 at hotmail.com
Tue May 10 19:08:47 EDT 2016

I am still unable to plot the data using your script. I have modified the script so that it only grabs the CFSv2 and CMC1 data, I am still getting the same error message. I added say dfile to make sure the dfile showed the correct url, which it did.

http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/nmme/201505/tmpsfc_CFSv2
syntax error, unexpected WORD_STRING, expecting WORD_WORD
context: Error { code = 0; message = "subset requests must include a constraint expression"^;};
sdfdeflev: nc_get_vara_double failed to read coordinate axis values
 NetCDF: Malformed or inaccessible DAP DATADDS
gadsdf: Failed to define X coordinate values.
SET Error:  No files open yet
SET Error:  No files open yet
SET Error:  No files open yet
SET Error:  No files open yet
SET Error:  No files open yet
DEFINE error:  no file open yet

I further investigated the script and added say URL to this portion of your script to see what came up.

*   build a server-side analysis URL
    dset='nmme/'year%mm'/tmpsfc_'model.m
    expr='eloop(tloop(aave(tmpsfc,lon=-170,lon=-120,lat=-5,lat=5)))' ;* NINO3.4 definition
    dims='0:0,-90:-90,0:0,'time1':'time2',01:'numens.m
    URL=server'_expr_{'dset'}{'expr'}{'dims'}'
    say URL

The script returned the same error as shown above, but now I have this URL result from the say URL command, which is:

http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/_expr_{nmme/201605/tmpsfc_CMC1}{eloop(tloop(aave(tmpsfc,lon=-170,lon=-120,lat=-5,lat=5)))}{0:0,-90:-90,0:0,00Z01MAY2016:00Z01DEC2016,01:10}

I tried to sdfopen on this URL without the script since it was the next part of the script:

*   This may take some time if the calculation result is not cached
    'sdfopen 'URL

When I did sdfopen http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/_expr_{nmme/201605/tmpsfc_CMC1}{eloop(tloop(aave(tmpsfc,lon=-170,lon=-120,lat=-5,lat=5)))}{0:0,-90:-90,0:0,00Z01MAY2016:00Z01DEC2016,01:10} on the command line without the script. The error I got was:

syntax error, unexpected WORD_STRING, expecting WORD_WORD
context: Error { code = 0; message = "subset requests must include a constraint expression"^;};
sdfdeflev: nc_get_vara_double failed to read coordinate axis values
 NetCDF: Malformed or inaccessible DAP DATADDS
gadsdf: Failed to define X coordinate values.

Which is the same error I get when I run the script. So this leads me to believe that the opening error of the file is coming from the 'building server-side URL' portion of the script. Does the URL that was outputted from the say URL command seem right to you?