[gradsusr] Plotting points and lines in GrADS

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:36:17 EDT 2016

Drawing a symbol or plotting a line based on lat/lon coords requires a
conversion from the lat/lon pair to real page units. Use 'q w2xy 'lon/lat
to do the conversion. There are several coordinate transformation query
functions. Simply entering 'q' at the GrADS command prompt will list and
describe them.

You can then draw the line using the commands suggested by Matt. Just make
sure you use the real page units rather than lat/lon coordinates in your
draw command.

Jeff Duda

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Matt Bunkers - WFO UNR <
matthew.bunkers at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> To draw lines all you need to use is this:
>
> 'set line color style thickness'
> 'draw line x1 y1 x2 y2'
>
> The x,y points are in inches from the upper left of the display.  Just
> play around with them to get the location you want.
>
> You can plot a point using font 3 and the number 2 (which will make a
> bullet point).  For example,
>
> 'set string 1 c 6 0'
> 'set strsiz 0.13 0.13'
> 'set font 3'
> 'draw string '4.25' '5.5' 2'
>
> will place a point roughly in the middle of the display.
>
> -- Matt
>

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Jason Snyder <jmssnyder at ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> To whom it may concern,
>>
>> I am trying to plot a point in grads at a specific latitude and longitude
>> in GrADS.  I also want to draw a line that connects several latitude and
>> longitude points together in GrADS.  Does anyone know how to do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason
>>
>> --
>> Jason Snyder PhD