[gradsusr] Max Function with user defined fields?

L.B. bcbass2989 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:12:01 EDT 2016

I'm not sure if I have my dimension settings wrong or if the max function
is not capable of calculating the max of user defined fields. Take for
instance the significant tornado parameter:
'define stp = cterm*ltermA*hterm*stermA'

To get the max function to work correctly, I cannot just do
max(stp,t=1,t=24), I have to expand out each of the terms in that stp
algorithm down to the actual fields available in the model data such as
CAPEsfc for instance.

I have a new script that I created that does some if statements and such
that simply cannot be broken down into one single line or their individual
fields from the model data and thus, I cannot get the max function to work.
It only will calculate one timestep.

I have tried setting t to vary, such as set t 1 24, etc but nothing works.
Is there a way around this, or am I missing something?

Here is a snippet of the code that I am trying to work with:

    if ('hgtprs(z=botzlev)' <= hgt0c)
    'wt=0'
    endif
    if ('hgtdiffZero' > 0 & 'hgtdiffTop' < 0)
    'wt=hgtdiffZero/(HGTtop0C-HGT0C)'
    endif
    if ('hgtdiffTop' >= 0)
    'wt=1'
    endif
    nextZlev = botzlev+1
    'define levDiff = hgtprs(z='nextZlev')-hgtprs(z='botzlev')'
    'hailsum=hailsum+(wt*E*levDiff)'

    botzlev = botzlev + inc
    endwhile

  'set gxout shaded'
  'SHI=hailsum*0.1'
  'MEHS=0.1*(2.54*pow(SHI,0.5))'
endif

'define hs = max(smth9(MEHS/2.54),t=1,t=24)'

*-------*
William (L.B.) LaForce IV
Meteorologist
www.tornadoinsanity.com