[gradsusr] Normalize GFS precipitation to 1hr

Ivan Toman ivtoman at inet.hr
Mon May 2 06:33:03 EDT 2016

Hello,

As new GFS has 1hr output step, it would be nice to normalize
precipitation amount in grib files to 1h. To do this I tried, after
downloading gribs in 1h step:
cat *.gfs.* > gfs.grib2
wgrib2 gfs.grib2 -set_grib_type c1 -ncep_norm normalized_gfs.grib2
g2ctl -verf normalized_gfs.grib2 >n_gfs.ctl
gribmap -i n_gfs.ctl

Then open n_gfs.ctl in GrADS, however, it seems to me that precipitation
is not being normalized correctly.

Am I missing something?

Is there any other way to get nice 1h precipitation steps in grib files
or can you suggest GrADS way to do 1h precipitation without normalizing
gribs first?

Thank you,
Ivan Toman