[gradsusr] Streamfunction (fish_psi)

Hart, Robert rhart at fsu.edu
Wed Mar 23 22:43:47 EDT 2016

Hi James,

When the GFS went to 0.25 degree output last year, the fishpak routines became unreliable for the GFS:

http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/fish/fish.html

"Notice that fish() becomes numerically unstable for horizontal resolutions finer that 1/2 degrees or so. In such cases use the spherical harmonic based sh_fish given in extension shfilt."

Indeed, I have found sh_fish is a very reliable replacement at these resolutions.

Bob Hart